Every year, we receive many applications for grants, always more than our funding allows. While we wish we could fund all of the incredible arts, culture, and humanities programming put before us, we do have funding limitations.
This year, the Salem Cultural Council has given priority to: Applicants that reside, work, or have an organization based in Salem, projects that celebrate and promote the diversity of our community, projects or events that are educational in nature for all age groups within the community, and programs that take place in Salem or benefit the residents of Salem. In addition to the state criteria, applications have been evaluated using the following review criteria: How well the program meets our local priorities, evidence of track record and dedication of the applicant, ability to address the diverse cultural needs of our community’s underserved populations, demonstrated planning (i.e. the ability to complete the project within the cycle year), and financial need.
You can find out more about our council priorities and program guidelines on the Massachusets Cultural Council site. For 2019 we will be examining our priorities and offering workshops about the best way to present your applications. If you have any questions, please email us.
The Salem Cultural Council is pleased to award grants to the following applicants for the 2018 grant cycle.
- Salem Film Fest/Salem Community Arts Center Inc.: Salem Film Fest Educational Outreach for $1,000
- Kathryn Mattern: Picture This! A Day in Salem for $210
- Salem Arts Association: Salem Arts Community Engagement for $2,000
- Meghan Collins: Artist Workshops & Camp Fire Art Show for $1,300
- Julie Arrison-Bishop: Four Centuries of Music Festival for $1,250
- Michael Boudo: Multi-Faith Festival for $1,500
- LEAP for Education: Leadership Workshop for $500
- Mickey Northcutt: Punto Urban Art Museum Outreach and Education for $1,500
- The City of Salem and North Shore Community Development Corporation: From the Traditional to the Street: Women in the Arts for $500
- Proprietors of the Salem Athenaeum: 2018 Salem Literary Festival for $1,916
- A3D Inc.: 12th Salem CultureFest for $750
- Kathleen Dailey/Saltonstall School: The Symphony Experience for $560
- Salem Main Streets: Salem Arts Festival for $1,000
- Salem Jazz and Soul Festival Inc: SALEM JAZZ AND SOUL FESTIVAL for $2,500
- History Alive, Inc.: From the Author to My Dear and Loving Husband for $750
- (R)Evolutionary Acts: Acts of Resistance 2018 for $2,250
Congratulations to our 2018 recipients!